While building my digital marketing agency, I discovered that small businesses often did not understand the value of digital marketing and were still struggling to adopt modern marketing practices. Even those who recognized the need for digital marketing strategies were unsure of where to start. To sell my services, I had to educate them, which is why the program was initially created.
Expanding my web design and digital marketing business proved challenging for many reasons, including client education. At the time, many small businesses were not using the web effectively and were lucky to have a small, static website with traditional marketing driving traffic to it. To sell my services, I had to first make them aware of the challenges they faced in digital marketing and position my company as a solution.
To address this challenge, I leveraged my teaching and training skills to educate small businesses about the art and science of digital marketing.
- Develop a comprehensive training program which included a series of courses to walk marketers step-by-step through the process of building and implementing their plan (2010)
- Publish Inbound Marketing in a Box, a 300-page guide to digital marketing (2012)
- Deliver live workshops and online training to marketers to help them master the art and science of marketing- especially in a digital environment (2009 – 2015)
- Create a blog called “Small Business, Big Voice” which tackled the marketing challenges that small businesses faced
- Speak frequently about marketing and business-related topics at various business events
Not only did these activities get me closer to my target audiences, helping gain knowledge about what they needed, they:
- Boosted my credibility and raised my company’s profile
- Armed clients and potential clients with the information they need to make informed decisions
- Showcased the perceived value of my services, allowing me to increase my price point
- Provided passive income, which helped strengthen my business position
Events / Places
St. Louis Digital Symposium, Panelist | Women in Leadership (Annual Conference), Breakout Presenter | Peoria Ad Club | Dress for Success | Chamber of Commerce (Washington) | Chamber of Commerce (Henry) | Bradley University | Midstate College | Illinois Central College | Women in Leadership (Monthly Meeting)