Implementing modern marketing strategies can be intimidating, no matter how much dominance a company has in the marketplace. In 2015, Cat Mining’s marketing strategy needed to be refreshed. They also needed to undergo a digital transformation, rethinking their channel marketing strategy in the context of new technologies and customer behavior. With resource industries representing nearly $10B in revenue, this would be a high-priority, high-visibility effort.
In order to achieve these objectives, it was necessary for the group to simultaneously transform their marketing strategy, build a new marketing operations model, and revamp their web experience.
1: Transform the Marketing Strategy
- The group wanted to use new digital marketing tactics, but their mix was heavily traditional and relied primarily on sales collateral.
- The group was not using data-driven techniques to target new customers and struggled to maximize the increasingly advanced purchasing journey of existing customers.
2: Build a New Marketing Operations Model
- The marketing team was newly-restructured, siloed, and needed help finding their footing with digital marketing practices.
- The extended network of distributers were willing to coordinate with the group, but needed direction and guidance.
3: Revamp the Web Experience
- Existing web content was fragmented, non-strategic and redundant. Content needed to be migrated to a new platform.
- Development of a digital strategy and website in preparation for the industries largest tradeshow also had to happen at the same time.
I worked as a Lead Strategist on this initiative on a marketing agency team. In this capacity I completed the following actions.
- Identified priorities. Worked with marketing leaders to clarify and/or define: (1) Business & marketing goals, (2) Areas of strategic focus, priority sub-products and regions, (3) Priority customer segments
- Conducted voice of customer and competitive research. Developed personas and journey maps to articulate insights and opportunities.
- Built a comprehensive global marketing strategy with many interconnected strategic elements. Strategy focused on deeper digitization of marketing strategy, leveraging data to personalize digital experiences, and better align corporate and distributor activities.
- Developed a new message and content focus for the group. This new focus on technology-enabled solutions and integrated with the overall Caterpillar brand theme.
- Rebuilt the groups core website, which included a robust solid thought leadership content strategy.
- Built smaller digital marketing campaigns which put strategy into action. Some campaigns were focused on priority sub-products and regions, others centered on an upcoming tradeshow.
- Built a detailed playbook and training for team members outlining new digital marketing strategy with best practices for continued digital success.
A well-thought out, well-executed marketing strategy which blends traditional and digital marketing tactics across multiple sub-groups. The strategy is still in place today with the Cat Mining website taking centerstage.
A newly-energized and aligned workforce ready to take on a contemporary, interconnected global marketing strategy with an emphasized presence in the digital domain. Today, the team exhibits the capability and confidence necessary to propel their digital marketing efforts forward.